You may already know from my Facebook page, but I have a goal of reading 36 books this year. From now to December, I need to average three books a month—in addition to grad school, writing, and, you know, trying to have a social life with my total of three friends and two pups.
(Look at my pretty bullet journal page in my planner.)
Anyway, I just finished my second book of the year, The Wrath & the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh.
It’s about a fiery, witty girl seeking to revenge her best friend’s death at the hands of an icy boy-king, who marries girls just to murder them in the morning (at least, so the kingdom believes).
This book has been around, but I recently picked it up at a local book fair and it’s been high on my TBR list ever since.
So, I loved the story right away…
It’s based on The Arabian Nights, but honestly, it made me think of Disney and if Jasmine and Belle shared the same fairytale.
There’s palaces + a magic carpet + a dark curse + a falcon + politics + a love triangle I can get behind + stories within the story + secrets + and so many other fantastical elements that have me craving the second book, The Rose & the Dagger.
My favorite quotes:
- “A shared history does not entitle you to a future, my friend.” (My favorite.)
- “Some things exist in our lives for but a brief moment. And we must let them go on to light another sky.”
- “She was a dangerous, dangerous girl. A plague. A Mountain of Adamant who tore the iron from ships, sinking them to their watery graves without a second thought. With a mere smile and a wrinkle of her nose.”
- “The more a person pushes others away, the clearer it becomes he is in need of love the most.”
- “For without a measure of arrogance, how can one attempt the impossible?”
Check out these vloggers’ reviews!
Which book should I read next?
Walk on Earth a Stranger or The Shadow Queen? Let me know in the comments!